Thursday, February 11, 2010

Take time to 'stand and stare'

It was a rare morning today. I got up much earlier than usual at about 7 am and that too on a holiday! On other days if I get up early, its only because I have to study for a quiz in the day or because I have to go somewhere. For most of the days, I end up getting up just half an hour before the scheduled class and in the frenzy of getting ready, I fail to even look around me. The mind is programmed in both the above cases... I have work to do; some task to accomplish!

But today, it was different. As I was wiping my face on my towel, I stared out into the quadrangle. The sun's rays had just begun to provide the warmth and I could see the lazy dog in the quadrangle yawn and stretch in full glory of the rays. Gazing above to the far blue sky , I could see the big white fluffy clouds through the leaves of the eucalyptus trees that line the quadrangle. The birds on the trees were chirping merrily and the smaller ones were hopping on the ground, pecking at different places. The squirrels were busy hopping and running up and down the barks of the trees stopping at frequent intervals to nibble something off the barks. There were butterflies of various colors; yellow, orange, green fluttering around the leaves. The view was stunning! I was simply amazed how I could feel my heartbeats slow down and relax as I felt myself lose in the such a beautiful morning sight. After a good 15 minutes or so, I came back and read the poem 'Leisure' by W. H Davies. (I am pasting the poem here for people who haven't read it.)

Its true that Nature can have such a charming effect on you. I wondered if I had been missing out on such wonderful things all this while. I'm not sure if such a feeling can actually motivate me to wake up early everyday... Umm... maybe not :P... Sleep is precious you see!

But today was a rare day; and once in a while, I simply love to ' JUST BE!"



"LEISURE"

What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs

And stare as long as sheep or cows.

No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.

No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.


- W. H Davies

2 comments:

Pradyot said...

nice...welcome to the world of nature!

Neeta said...

Yeah,agree! Today the weather was also particularly pleasant in the morning :)